I need way to encourage Elliot's independence...
They told me at daycare this morning that they are considering moving him into the Toddler Senior room, even though he's not potty trained, because he's getting bored in the junior room and that's what they believe is contributing to his aggression and lashing out, especially with the younger kids. He's among the oldest kids in his current class. He's been there since early September, the classes were blended until November.
So, I need to work with him on some things. (Not a prerequisite to getting in the class, just stuff I feel it's time for him to start learning and stuff that will help with the transition). Stuff like putting on/taking off his own coat, shoes, boots and/or snowpants. Or showing an interest in dressing/undressing himself. Right now, he shows almost no interest in doing it on his own. Not even curiosity. He just says "No I can't do it. You do it." when asked... or he runs and hides.
Of course, the potty training would be a great one to have underway. He knows the basics, but he's stubborn. If we're out shopping, he'll often say "I want to go pee in the bathroom." So we go, get everything off and then he'll say "NO! Maybe tomorrow." Often, we'll only get as far as the bathroom before he says that. I want to encourage it, but usually I know it's just going to be a big pain and he's going to balk at it anyway, so I distract him.
At home, if I ask him if he wants to sit on the potty (or toilet) or bring him to it or it to him, he gets defiant. He's peed on it a few times, but shows no desire to continue. I think I might make a big deal of getting him big boy underwear and spend a day letting him have accidents.
He's great at self-play and feeding himself (they don't even use sippy's at school - it's all open top cups. I know we should use them more at home.) I will be making more a point of getting him to dress/undress himself. Make it a game or something - no pressure. Just see what I can get him interested in doing...
Friday, January 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment