Wednesday, August 9, 2006

August 9, 2006

The pain is worse and still constant. I can't sleep at night. I'm miserable. I dread going back to the dentist today and getting drilled again, I'm going to have to ask for x-rays to make sure he's fixing the right spot and I'm scared it'll harm the baby. I'm scared the freezing will harm the baby. I'm scared that this constant pain and stress and not sleeping I'm going through will hurt the baby. Tylenol doesn't seem to help the pain. I'm starting to loose my mind a little bit.

On the plus side, I'm getting to practice all my pain management techniques...

Update: I was able to reach my dentist today and he called in a prescription for antibiotics, which I've started and will take for 10 days. I'll see him again tomorrow for a quick check-up, but it doesn't seem that he'll need to drill again. (Keep your fingers crossed!) Of course, if I have another night like last night, I'll probably be begging him to drill. EEP!

My naturopathic doctor is away this week, but I was able to get some advice from someone who is covering her emergency calls. I've got some soothing Arnica cream that we used when Jay had his first dental surgery last winter. It's safe for topical use during pregnancy, so I'll put that on to try to bring some relief to the aching muscles in my jaw and neck. I will also be taking a probiotic to help replenish the healthy bacteria that will be killed of by the antibiotics.

I talked to the pharmacist and he said that it was safe to take 2 extra strength Tylenol every 4 hours if needed. I took only 1 this morning and did notice a bit of improvement. So I'm armed with those for tonight if sleeping becomes difficult. (I really don't like the thought of taking pain killers, but of course, I don't like pain that much more!)

I talked to several dental assistants who confirmed that the x-ray, while best to be avoided, would be ok if it's needed - they suggested wearing 2 of the lead vests! And I spoke with a dentist friend who said that the stats on early labour due to the freezing agent are extremely low.

So all in all I'm in a much better frame of mind than I was in the middle of the night and early this morning. Poor Jay, he's had to put up with a lot in the last few days - and he went for dental surgery himself this morning. What a fine pair we are!

No comments: