Friday, July 7, 2006

July 7, 2006

I'm sitting in the doctor's office, waiting for my regular check up. Dr L is running behind as she just delivered a baby! It's funny, because I was thinking on the walk here that I've been lucky - I know she tries to deliver all of her patient's babies, but to date I hadn't had to have any appointments rescheduled.

Feeling pretty good. It's humid today, which makes me tired and I get cranky when I'm tired. We're doing interviews for my replacement this afternoon. I'm anxious to get someone hired so I can start training them. I plan to work until August 15th, so that will give 3-4 weeks of training, which *should* be plenty, but I'll feel better once it's all in place.

I went to the gym & yoga last night. I noticed that after my cardio work out (20 minutes on the cross trainer) that my belly was very wide and low and puffy on the sides. After my weight routine (arms, very basic!) it was more of a ball in the centre and not so much on the sides anymore. I guess the baby changes positions!

I'm a bit concerned that I'm carrying low because I can't really feel and baby bits at the top of my uterus. I know there's still 10 weeks (!!!) left, so if the baby is breech or transverse, there's time for him/her to move to a head down position, but still... baby just feels so compact that I don't think the positioning is right yet.

I had my one hour sugar test for gestational diabetes 2 weeks ago. Since I haven't heard back, I'm assuming I passed, which is a relief. There's a high failure rate and failing means you move on to the 3 hour test where you have to fast, have blood drawn, go for breakfast and have more blood drawn 3 hours later.

The one hour test was simple - I didn't have to fast (Dr L told me to eat normally), then go and drink an orange pop like drink (Trudat, I think???) then have blood drawn after an hour.

If I did fail both, then I'd be monitored more closely as GD babies can be large and the mother's can have issues with high blood pressure. I'd really have to watch what I ate, too, and not just the obvious sugar things.



UPDATE:

I passed the sugar test - no risk of gestational diabetes! I guess this means that my years of eating sugar and crap food have paid off... my body must be conditioned to deal with sugar! YAY!! Seriously, I know I have mainly good eating habits, but I was worried that my carb and sweets consumption was going to come back and kick me in the butt - especially since i've been craving sweets during the pregnancy.

My iron is a bit low but that if I eat more red meat I should be good, (Iron was 114 but should have been 120)

I'm up another 7 lbs... stepping on that scale and seeing that HUGE number was a bit shocking! I was 168 with my shoes on, but 165 without, so that's the number we used. That's a 29 lb weight gain in total! And there's still 10 or so weeks to go. But still, my dr isn't concerned and I feel and look healthy. My energy and activity levels are good - i'm just loving being preggers!!!

No comments: