So Jay's dad and step mom came over to entertain Elliot this afternoon. They mowed the lawn and played in the backyard. I went out to check on them and found Elliot with his feet in a bucket full of blackish berries. I didn't recognize them and asked where they came from. They assured me he hadn't eaten any and said they were growing by the shed. I looked over and saw purple flowers.
Yep, Deadly Nightshade/belladonna. In my backyard. I've seen the plant there before but never looked at it to actually SEE it. If eaten, 2-5 berries can be lethal to a child.
They immediately brought Elliot inside and scrubbed his hands and feet. Jay got home soon after and now plans to cut down the bush asap.
Don't I just love my mother for teaching Elliot about picking berries while I was in the hospital with Felix. We also have raspberries and he now loves to pick/eat those.
Thursday, August 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment