Thursday, September 25, 2008

September 24-25, 2008

Elliot woke up with blue lips this morning. They stayed blue during and after breakfast. His hands were cold, but fingernails looked normal. (Not pink, but not blue at all.) His tongue and gums looked normal, too. Breathing wasn't laboured, but he was coughing a lot. Jay gave him his puffer before breakfast.

I know this is generally related to lung problems - respiratory due to illness (cold, asthma) but can also be a sign of a heart problem.

I took him to daycare anyway, but let them know about it. It didn't raise any flags with them and they said they'd watch him for me.

I'm 99% certain this is related to his nasty cold.... buuuut should I take him to his dr? The ER? Wait and see? I'm usually a wait and see kind of gal, but I don't want to risk my kids health, of course.


Felix, on the other hand, sounds more laboured and wheezes a bit (more snuffly than wheezy) when he breathes and his skin colour is good. So far. Baby coughs are so pitiful sounding. Breaks my heart.

~~

Well, I called a pharmacist and she wasn't instantly alarmed, but said it would be good to get him checked out. She did check the inhaler he's on to make sure it wasn't a possible side effect.

We don't have a nurse line to call, but I did call out dr's office. Front desk suggested I bring him in to the walk in clinic tonight so they could check him over and make sure he was breathing ok for overnight. She said it didn't sound like a rush thing, but still a 'better to be safe than sorry' thing. I agree. So, I'm getting ready to go pick up Elliot from daycare a bit early and we'll head to the clinic.

~~


Dr said he's fine. He didn't know what caused the blue-ness, but said he's healthy (aside from the cold). Lungs, ears and throat are clear. Skin is completely normal colour now, of course.

So it's a mystery. I don't like mysteries when it comes to my children.

We'll keep an eye on it.

~~
25th

Blue again this morning.

The doctor - an ancient dude - didn't check E's blood oxygen levels, which is something I expected. I'll call the children's hospital, I guess. Last time I called them about something, they told me that unless he was a patient or seen my them already within the last 24 hours, they couldn't advise anything over the phone. To go to the ER was best option if I was concerned.

I know that by the time I arrive there with both kids, Elliot's lips will be normal and they won't find anything wrong and will make me feel (again) like a over protective first time mom.

The fact that his lips return to normal is a good sign. I'm thinking it's a temporary oxygen saturation thing while he has this cold - he had a big coughing fit this morning. The really promising sign is that they're not as blue as yesterday - only a deep red/purple today and a purple/blue yesterday.

His room has been colder than usual, so that could be playing a part. I actually turned the heat on this morning, it dropped to 64 degrees in the house last night, colder in Elliot's room as he has 2 outer facing walls and his bed runs along them.

No comments: