Tuesday, December 18, 2007

12/18/07

First appointment with the baby doctor today! I got called in right away - I was in the loo leaving a sample, actually. Was in the office for nearly an hour. She took my history again (mostly was able to copy from last time!) And she weighed me - 149 lbs.

She tells me it's now strongly encouraged for preggers women (at any stage of the pregnancy) to get the flu shot. I've never had one before and don't really want to, but told her I'd think about it. She didn't pressure me, but said that it was a good idea to have it. And one for Elliot as well. Not sure how I feel about it.

She was also surprised that I'm still nursing and said it's recommended to stop. I told her I'd researched it and was comfortable continuing, but she said that it couldn't be determined how many nutrients were going to the developing baby (and to myself) if I was nauseous and throwing up AND nursing a toddler, even if it's only 3-4 times per day. She's also a bit concerned because I've lost 10 lbs so far... of course she won't truly be concerned until/unless I lose more by the next appointment. Which I don't think is going to happen... but we'll see. I'm sure that if I've lost more weight by the next one and am still nursing, she won't be impressed.

But otherwise, a good appointment. No dating ultrasound, but she said we'd just go with my last period date for now and if the 20 week scan shows a smaller baby, then we'll assume I did ovulate late and push back the due date. As of now, I'm due July 19th. (The Fertility Friend software says the 17th. It had also calculated Elliot's due date as Sept. 18 and she said Sept 16th... I think there's a leap year coming up which is throwing off the dates a bit. Oh well...close enough!)

We tried to listen for the heart beat, but we both knew it was really early. We did hear placental sounds, so that's encouraging! My next appt is mid Jan, so we'll be able to hear something then for sure. And hopefully you can come, too!

Then we went to the library and to Woozles and then for sushi. (Elliot ate 3 veggie rolls. Including the seaweed on 2 of them!!) And then to Starbucks. Elliot fell asleep in the stroller after lunch (around 12:30, I think) and slept until I got home just before 2. Good boy!

No comments: